The Assistant to the County Manager/Chief of Staff is a critical and highly visible position that provides professional, analytical, and technical support to the County Manager to assist with meeting the demands and responsibilities of the County Manager’s Office. Responsibilities include:
· Acts as principal strategic lead for operations of the County Manager’s Office; in consultation with the County Manager, Deputy County Manager, and Assistant County Managers develops goals and objectives for the operations of the County Manager's Office; establishes work plans, assigns, and oversees studies, projects, analysis, research and development of professional staff to ensure workloads are appropriate and that each Manager has the appropriate level of support. Ensures County business operations, processes and procedures are efficient, effective and consistent for the County Manager, Deputy County Manager, and Assistant County Managers. Oversees the Office Manager to ensure efficient and effective management of day to day operations of the County Managers Office and the needs of the County Commissioners, as directed by the County Manager coordinates work of the Management Analysts; ensures effective, efficient and consistent operations of assigned staff; identifies, recommends and implements training for the development of staff. Provides assistance and support for Cabinet and the County Management Team.
· Oversees various complicated, difficult, and/or politically sensitive Countywide projects; prepares and develops plans for projects, initiatives and programs involving coordination with other departments and/or outside organizations; originates and develops complex ideas in new and undefined areas that impact major segments of the organization or community; develops methodology for strategic planning and determines overall strategic direction of projects; assigns and oversees administrative staff for projects, and develops the best methods and procedures to achieve the goals and objectives; Coordinates/Acts as principal analyst and liaison for various responsibilities of the County Manager such as City/County Round Table, Core 4 initiative, School Districts, economic development, coordinates programs and projects between the organizations and develops strategic goals and objectives.
· Advises the County Manager, Deputy County Manager, and Assistant County Managers on a wide-range of County operations and strategic planning; including departmental operations, long-range planning, development of strategic objectives, and negotiation and coordination with various outside organizations on strategic partnerships.
· Oversees the legislative process for the County; coordinates and collaborates with Executives and senior managers on legislative platform, leads the Legislative Review Committee, coordinates, researches and develops recommendations for County legislative policy and positions to county leadership, elected officials, and legislators; with direction from the County Manager provides direction to the Johnson County lobbyist in communicating County positions and priorities to legislators; develops and coordinates written and verbal testimony from county officials, and updates county leadership on the status of legislation; develops the Johnson County annual State and Federal legislative platforms and the joint City/County legislative platforms; presents platforms for BOCC approval and provides weekly updates on legislative activity.
· Oversees the development of BOCC and CMO department budgets; develops and maintains resource projections for short and long-term needs. Originates, develops, implements and enforces administrative policies and procedures necessary to support and carry out official functions of the BOCC. Create and foster a collaborative and learning environment for the department.
· Other duties as assigned.