The Vice President, Housing & Real Estate Services (“VHRE”) is responsible for overseeing the implementation and delivery of programs and services to accomplish Invest Atlanta’s strategic vision of increasing the availability and affordability of quality housing within the City of Atlanta, Georgia. The VHRE will also manage a team of professionals responsible for the disposition of key City assets as well as provide oversight of the process and program implementation of all targeted acquisition activity. The VHRE is a “working” manager with his/her own portfolio of housing and real estate projects.
The Community Development Division activities may include, but are not limited, to financing real estate and economic development projects; conducting neighborhood stabilization activities; securing and allocating funding for projects in disadvantaged communities; and serving as a catalyst to providing long-term community and neighborhood transformation and sustainability. Invest Atlanta’s growth, progress, and vision offers an outstanding opportunity for a manager who wants to create a positive and lasting change within Atlanta’s neighborhoods, improving the quality of life for our residents, businesses, and stakeholders.
The VHRE will report directly to the Vice President & Deputy Director of Community Development.
- Supervise the Director of Real Estate Development and Homeownership Center Manager.
- Create and maintain Housing & Real Estate Services infrastructure through the implementation of documented “best practice” policies and procedures.
- Oversee and facilitate the implementation of housing finance and real estate financing programs and initiatives.
- Ensure that all departmental reports and/or presentations are high quality, organized, accurate and timely.
- Utilize a multidisciplinary approach to financing new and existing community development projects and make critical decisions related to these initiatives.
- Meet and negotiate with all parties involved in transactions to resolve technical and legal issues relative to housing finance transactions, mortgage financing, or real estate development transactions.
- Oversee human resources related matters for the department, ensuring that a positive, constructive workplace is fostered, proper policies and procedures are in place, issues are handled in a timely and appropriate manner, and proper documentation is confidentially maintained.
- Manage annual staff evaluation and goal planning process.
- Provide guidance to staff and foster professional growth opportunities.
- Oversee the preparation of all board and committee meeting materials to ensure accuracy and timely delivery.
- Support the Senior Vice-President and Vice President, Deputy Director of Community Development in securing funding for new community development projects and generation fee revenue to ensure that the department is financially sustainable.
Housing Finance and Community Development
- Ensure that Homeownership Center is developing, refining and implementing effective homeownership programs aligned with the strategic goals of the department and consistently offering a superb serve delivery model.
- Review and approve Mortgage borrower’s loan files for funding.
- Provide oversight and support for Homeownership Center Manager in marketing, increasing mortgage loan volume, developing new programs, and implementing new partnerships.
- Oversee the implementation of various housing finance programs including the Housing Opportunity Bond Programs, the Beltline Affordable Housing Trust Fund Programs, the Vine City/English Avenue Loan Fund Program, and other housing programs targeting specific Tax Allocations Districts (“TADs”).
- Collaborate with the Vice President, Place-Based & Special Initiatives and Director, Real Estate Development to develop and sustain strategies to maximize quality development, tax base growth, job creation and economic prosperity within the TADs, University Choice Neighborhoods, and other targeted communities.
- Review relevant community development-related resolutions and materials prepared by managers.
- Assist in the review and, when appropriate, execution of commitments and related documents for community development initiatives/projects.
- Work with Senior Vice President and Vice President, Community Development to respond to inquiries from community stakeholders, partners, board members and elected officials regarding new housing initiatives/projects.
- Manage strategic partner relationships to ensure that housing and real estate development projects and services align with strategic and redevelopment plans.
- Leverage strategic partnerships with external organizations such as community development organizations, human service providers, city of Atlanta departments, and project management firms to implement holistic community development.
Real Estate Development, Acquisition & Disposition
- Ensure strategic deployment of capital funds in communities by financing the development of catalytic commercial properties, ranging from community amenities and facilities, retail development, to shopping centers and even businesses.
- Review transactions under the various developer incentive programs administered by the Director, Real Estate Development for quality, accuracy, and feasibility prior to approval processing.
- Review relevant real estate development-related resolutions and materials prepared by the Director, Real Estate Manager and Real Estate Coordinator.
- Review and, when appropriate, execute commitments and related documents for housing and real estate development projects.
- Oversee the disposition process of key real estate assets owned by Invest Atlanta and/or the City of Atlanta to ensure that proposed projects are consistent with economic and community development objectives of both agencies.
- Work with Senior Vice President and Vice President, Community Development to respond to inquiries from community stakeholders, partners, board members and elected officials regarding new real estate development projects.
- Coordinate activities and maintain all related accounts associated with the housing finance programs, relevant TAD development funding, and any other housing finance or real estate development program administered by Invest Atlanta.
- Work with the City’s Finance Department to assure effective processes and controls for project monitoring, disbursement of funds and reimbursement of direct and indirect administrative costs.
- Ensure the department effectively maintains a balanced and fiscally responsible budget.
- Assist the Community Development Division in obtaining financing resources for new community development projects.
- Oversee Housing & Real Estate Services department budget and cash flow.
- Review and approve expenses for department.
- Review cash flow projections and conduct fiscal planning with the Vice President, Community Development.
- Work with Finance Department to develop and refine annual budgets and present these budgets to the Vice President, Community Development.
- Review annual audits; work with the Finance Department to identify strategies to improve operations; and present audits and strategy recommendations to the Senior Vice President for approval.
- Coordinate annual audit of housing and real estate development incentives; provide audit adjustments and allowances for all incentives.
- Serve as a resource for risk management, ensuring that proper protocols and procedures are in place within every division to prevent fraud, injury, loss, and other issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven managerial ability to mentor, motivate, and inspire staff in a results-oriented unit.
- Financial knowledge and aptitude.
- Ability to lead and manage others, as well as work as an effective team member.
- Knowledge of local, state and national policies, issues and best practices regarding community re-development and affordable housing.
- Competent technology management skills, including proficiency with using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.); database and/or IT management experience
- Proven ability to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals.
- Demonstrates interest in building positive work culture and promoting colleagues’ growth and development.
- Strong financial skills, including experience in budgeting, cash flow monitoring, and variance reporting.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, strong facilitation skills and strong conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to manage a high workload, multiple projects, and competing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to work well under pressure.
- High ethical standards and values.
- Passion for the mission and goals of the Community Development Division and Invest Atlanta.M.A. or M.B.A (preferred) or B.A. or B.S. from an accredited college or university with a major in business administration, public administration, urban planning, real estate finance, economics or related field, with at least ten (10) years of progressively responsible corporate or government experience in housing finance, real estate finance, and/or community development. Seven (7) years of housing finance experience is required. Experience should include a minimum of five (5) years of managerial/supervisory experience in banking, finance, government, and/or real estate.
Resumes should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Invest Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including but not limited to minorities, females, disabled and veterans are encouraged to apply