THE CITY OF HENDERSON IS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR A PUBLIC RECORDS OFFICER IN THE CITY CLERK'S OFFICE. THIS RECRUITMENT WILL BE USED TO FILL THE CURRENT POSITION AS WELL AS VACANCIES FOR THIS CLASSIFICATION FOR UP TO ONE (1) YEAR.
Under general supervision, oversees, coordinates, analyzes, processes, evaluates, and responds to public records requests in compliance with State law, Henderson Municipal Code, and City policies and procedures. Initiates and assists with policy development, training, and related activities; and performs related duties as assigned.
· Oversees the completion of public records requests; coordinates public records requests requiring responses from multiple departments; communicates with the public to clarify requests and address questions or problems when necessary; monitors public records requests to ensure compliance with statutory requirements; confers with City Clerk, City Attorney, department directors and other City staff regarding pending issues relating to public records requests.
· Evaluates public records requests for sensitive and/or confidential information; coordinates with the City Attorney’s Office to determine if a record, or part of any record, is exempt from disclosure; redacts records and prepares appropriate explanation and exemption logs.
· Researches and prepares reports to communicate public records request compliance; summarizes results and makes recommendations; develops and maintains City-wide records policies and procedures relating to public records requests.
· Develops and conducts training for all levels of City staff relating to public records requests; maintains contact with staff from all City departments to coordinate records request research and records production.
· Develops and maintains contact within the Nevada State Library and Archives and with peers within other local jurisdictions regarding best practices for processing public records requests; analyzes information and provides feedback on legislative bills and proposed legislation related to public records.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in Business or Public Administration, or a closely related field
Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience performing complex administrative functions for an agency or organization; experience must have included both working with sensitive information and extensive public contact
Note: An equivalent combination of related training and experience may be considered
Desirable: Master's degree in a related field
Desirable: Experience working with Public Records and Public Records Requests
Desirable: Experience interacting with executive level staff and/or elected officials
Desirable: Experience interacting with the media
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Thorough knowledge of the Nevada Public Records Law, Federal, State, and local laws; organizing and planning methods used to coordinate research and completion of large volumes of records requests; records management practices and procedures; methods for conducting research, program analysis and report preparation; principles and practices of policy and procedure development; and City of Henderson organizational structure, functions, policies and operating procedures.
· Ability to use initiative and independent judgement within established procedural guidelines; work independently with minimal supervision; organize and prioritize work and meet critical deadlines; use correct English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling; conduct research, interpret, and arrange data from statistics and data analysis into thorough and concise reports; prepare and maintain complete, accurate, and concise reports and business correspondence; communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing; communicate effectively with individuals encountered in the course of work to include citizens, executive-level employees, elected officials, and members of the media; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; and maintain strict confidentiality and exercise discretion and sound decision making when handling sensitive documents.
· Skill in the operation of computer hardware and software necessary to perform the duties of the position.