This is an executive management position on the Sheriff's Office Command Staff and reports directly to the Sheriff. The incumbent is responsible for the direction and management of the Human Resource Section and the Fiscal Services Section as well as oversight of the Information Technology Section. The Chief of Staff shall serve as a Senior Manager and shall be responsible for serving as strategic advisor and counsel to the Sheriff and Undersheriff. The primary duties of this position will be to assume day-to-day responsibility for projects and tasks assigned by the Sheriff and Undersheriff, to create and maintain cross-departmental relationships to enable leadership success, to ensure timely and effective responses to directives and as a Senior Manager assigned to the Sheriff's office work to ensure all budgetary issues operational issues and personal issues be resolved. The Chief of Staff promotes the Sheriff's Office vision and mission and adheres to the agency core values of honesty and integrity, accountability, teamwork, trust and respect and commitment to excellence. To be successful in this position, the employee must demonstrate competency in local, state and federal statutes and ordinances and LCSO General Orders, conflict resolution, general communication skills (both written and oral), inter-personal skills, problem solving, team building skills, strategic planning and transformational leadership.
1. Support the Sheriff and Undersheriff in the general management of the agency by planning, coordinating, and evaluation the overall operation of the Sheriff's Office.
2. Implements human resources strategies by establishing department accountabilities, staffing,employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development,records management, safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and retention,AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations.
3. Perform highly complex administrative assignments, special projects, and analytical projects forthe Sheriff.
4. Develop and advise on strategic, fiscal, and capital improvement plans, oversight on the dissemination of public information; advise on ongoing and emergent issues and develop strategies for effective resolution and implementation.
5. Through collaboration and consultation with the Sheriff, Undersheriff, and Executive Staff, establish a Strategic Plan for the agencies priorities, goals, and objectives.
6. Coordinate the implementation of on-going projects, plans and strategies. Ensure long and short term goals are on track and support the mission and vision of the agency.
7. Develop and utilize a strategic plan to establish Leon County Sheriff's Office, priorities, goals and objectives and coordination of implementation of ongoing projects.
8. Build relationships with external community partners in order to identify opportunities for collaboration and problem solving.
9. Attend and represent the Sheriff at meetings as assigned.
10. Ability to work closely with others as a team.
11. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
12. Ability to provide professional customer service skills to both the public and agency members.
13. Ability to prepare and present clear, accurate, concise and objective written and oral reports.
14. Ability to meet requirements and maintain required licensures and certifications as well as agency required in-service training.
15. Ability to adhere to the standards and principles of the agency's core values and professionally represent the agency.
16. Ability to report to work timely, consistently and as scheduled.
17. Ability to perform all functions of the job classification without posing a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the work place.
High school diploma or GED required; Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Public Policy, Risk Management,Business, Finance related field from an accredited college or university required; Master's degree in Criminal Justice, Criminology, Public Administration, or Public Policy from an accredited college or university Preferred; A working knowledge of the constitutional and other statutory responsibilities of the Sheriff required; Five years of progressive responsibility in administration and managerial or supervisory experience in areas such as human resources, public policy analysis project management, legislative management, strategic planning and our public administration required; Proficiency in human resource management preferred; Must possess a valid driver's license with good driving history.