Under regular direction and in compliance with standard operating procedures and policies, performs complex and technical administrative work in the City Clerk’s Office. Provides City Clerk with administrative and legislative support; boards and commissions support; archives and records and retention management support for the office as well as city-wide organization, and election support. Assists with preparing, reviewing, and organizing weekly City Council meeting agenda packet and meeting calendar. Assists with handling financial and budgetary matters for City Council and City Clerk. Assists with collecting and posting of public meeting notices for City Council and boards and commissions meeting agendas and minutes as required under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Attends meetings of City Council and Municipal Election Commission and assists with transcribing minutes. Assists with preserving historical books, records, and documentation of the municipality, and assists with coordinating the codification of and supplements to the City’s Code of Ordinances. As directed, performs research of City Council records for internal and external customers. Assists with auditing current and archived records. Position requires attendance at all meetings of City Council.
• Provide Administrative and Legislative Support: Assist in preparing draft agendas for City Council meetings, assembling agenda material, and distributing agenda packet. Provide assistance with the preparation of weekly meeting calendars and issuing public notice of meetings and agendas of City Council as required under the Freedom of Information Act. Assist with set up of meeting facilities and equipment for City Council meetings as well as virtual meetings as requested. Provide a wide range of administrative support, including but not limited to assisting with special committees established by City Council; preparing correspondence, reports, and other such documents as necessary; and, accepting legal documents and petitions on behalf of the City. Provide notification of approved annexations and abandonments to utilities and agencies as required by state law. Assist with preparing requests for payments and balancing budgets of City Council and City Clerk. Attend City Council meetings, maintain attendance records, and transcribe minutes as directed. 40%
• Provide Support for Boards and Commissions: Assist in posting calendars and meeting agendas as required under the Freedom of Information Act. Collect minutes and attendance records of the City’s Boards and Commissions as needed. Assist in preparing correspondence to applicants and appointees, scheduling interviews, and confirming appointment recommendations. Assist in preparing memorandums and supporting documents for City Council review as directed. Assist in reviewing new applications and validating residency. Assist in providing annual seminar for staff liaisons regarding processes and procedures in serving with the boards and commissions. Attend meetings and transcribing minutes of the Municipal Election Commission and any other board or commission as required. 30%
• Support City Clerk’s Office Archives and Records Management: Assist in organizing and maintaining legislative history including ordinances, resolutions, formal minutes, agenda packets, indexes, election results, Code of Ordinances, minutes of City Boards and Commissions and other such records as requested by City Council and the City Manager. As directed, research and respond to requests for archived records and documentation for both internal and external customers. Assist in auditing current and archived records for accuracy. Assist in preserving and protecting books, records, and documents of the municipality. Provide legislative and administrative background in the establishment, incorporations, and history of the municipality. Assist in codification of and supplements to the City’s Code of Ordinances. Collect relevant media and news articles pertaining to the city. 15%
• Support City-wide Records and Retention Management: Work with city department liaisons in organizing, retaining, and managing department records according to the General and Specific Schedules of the South Carolina Department of Archives and History (SCDAH). Assist in the maintenance of documents requiring a retention schedule and purging of such documents as required by the SCDAH. Complete forms required by SCDAH involving records retention. 10%
• Assist with Organizing Elections: Assist in organizing city elections and referendums and locating and confirming polling locations in conjunction with the Greenville County Voter Registration and Elections Office. Assist in preparing agenda and minutes of the Municipal Election Commission. As directed, schedule and confirm training required of the Municipal Election Commissioners. 5%
Perform other duties as assigned.
• Associate degree in Business Management or related field.
• Over four years of administrative experience in a related field.
• Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job, may be substituted for evaluation at the discretion of city management.
• International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC) Certified Municipal Clerk Certification (CMC) and/or Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC) Municipal Clerk Training Institute graduate within two years of employment.
• Experience in a city clerk’s office or municipal government environment.
• Possess Notary Public Certification for the state of South Carolina.